BUILDING YOUR BIRTH BUSINESS TOOLKIT –
A Comprehensive Guide to Starting Your Birth Business and Creating an LLC That Has Legal Protection
Are you excited to become a birth professional but don’t know how to set up your business? Are you afraid that your birth business has not been set up in a way that will afford you and your family legal and financial protection? The “Building Your Birth Business Toolkit” is here to help!
The Building Your Birth Business Toolkit includes an 80-page Birth Business Guidebook, Discover Your Philosophy questionnaire, Business Plan Template, 3 legal documents, and 9 additional templates/checklists, all of which you can immediately put to use in your business. The Toolkit was designed for all birth professionals with two main goals in mind:
- to guide you through the process of moving from an idea in your head to a fully formed, well-thought-out, efficient birth business,
- and to give you all the action steps and documents you need to operate your business in a manner that provides you with limited liability protection.
The Toolkit is comprehensive, practical, and approachable and is here to help your birth business meet its maximum potential.
Why Do I Need to Protect My Birth Business?
Did you know that if you operate your birth business as a hobby or as a sole proprietor, your personal assets could be taken from you and your family to settle a business claim against you? You could lose your life savings, your home, and your business if you do not take certain precautions. You can’t be too careful when your and your family’s livelihood is at stake, and it is important to protect your personal assets from a business liability. It is not enough to register your business as an LLC. Rather, there is a specific way you will need to operate your business to ensure you have limited liability protection and that your personal assets are protected. All of this information is covered in the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit.
We have teamed up with the attorneys at Wills & Wellness[i] to bring you the legal information and documents you need to protect your birth business at an affordable price. The Toolkit contains all the legal documents you will need (with the exception of business-specific contracts) as templates that are ready for you to use in your business. (Contracts specific to different types of birth businesses are available separately, as well as bundled with this toolkit.)
Make the Process of Establishing Your Birth Business Easier
When you download the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit, you’ll have all the information you need to create an effective, organized, mindful birth business that provides you and your family with limited liability protection. Envision receiving all the information and tools you need to create a legitimate business. You will save yourself time, because you don’t have to start from scratch, and will be able to avoid doing countless hours of research. The Building Your Birth Business Toolkit has been written in a way so as to remove your feelings of overwhelm and empower you to take the steps to create your protected birth business. We have compiled the necessary information on this topic so you don’t have to.
Here’s What Is Included in the Toolkit:
- Birth Business Guidebook – Learn about the detailed steps that go into building a successful, protected birth business. This extensive guidebook includes tips from attorneys that will give you suggestions from a legal perspective along the way. Some of the sections included in the Birth Business Guidebook are:
-Designing a logo
-Creating your website and accounts
-Creating an email list
-Preparing to launch your business
-Creating your LLC
-Pricing your services
-Creating a client contract and confidentiality release
-Dealing with the unexpected
- Philosophy Questionnaire – Discover your style and core beliefs, which will enable you to create a birth business that is representative of you.
- Business Plan Template – Identify your ideas, values, and goals and turn them into a plan for a business that is representative of you and your beliefs. This business plan template has been created specifically with birth professionals in mind.
- Action Plan Template – Create doable action steps from your business goals that you can hold yourself accountable for.
- 3 Legal Documents* – Protect yourself from a legal and financial standpoint. These documents were written by the attorneys at Wills & Wellness, and you will need them to ensure your business has limited liability protection. You will receive two versions of each legal document: a template that is ready for you to customize and use, and a version with comments that will tell you what information to enter in each blank on the template.
–Confidentiality Release Form
–LLC Annual Meeting Minutes
–LLC Operating Agreement
- Tax Tracking Template – Be prepared to file your business taxes at the end of each year. This spreadsheet will help you keep track of your business finances and mileage throughout the year.
- LLC Registration Websites by State – Find the website you will need to register your LLC.
- Feedback Form Template, Intake Form Template, & Workflow Checklist Template
- Contract Checklist & Website Checklist
*These legal documents were all written by attorneys. While efforts have been made to ensure they can be used throughout the United States, we recommend having all of your legal documents reviewed by an attorney in your state.
All of the templates and checklists will be sent to you as Microsoft Word or Excel documents and can be easily customized and made your own.
The goal of the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit is to help you create the most effective, inspired version of your birth business possible so you can maximize your impact in the birth world and for the families you work with. Creating a business and trying to ensure it is protected can be confusing, but the Toolkit takes the guesswork out of this process. It will give you the confidence that you haven’t missed any details and that you and your family are protected from a business liability.
Here are the questions we most often receive about the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit
- Who is this toolkit for? – The Building Your Birth Business Toolkit has been designed with all birth professionals in mind; regardless of whether you are a doula, birth photographer, placenta encapsulation specialist, lactation consultant, etc. these materials will pertain to you and your business.
- Is this toolkit only for new birth professionals? – No! While this toolkit was created with the new birth professional in mind, which is evident in the thoroughness of the materials, even the experienced birth professional will find new information and documents to better protect themselves legally and financially.
- How is the Toolkit different from what I received at my professional training? – You may or may not have taken a professional training that covered how to best support your clients and possibly gave some information on how to set up your business. However, these trainings rarely give the comprehensive information needed to start and protect a business. While this toolkit does not cover how to support your clients, it does give you all the information and materials you will need to start your birth business and ensure you have limited liability protection.
- Does this toolkit promote a one-size-fits-all birth business? – No! The Building Your Birth Business Toolkit provides the organization for your business, but not the philosophy or training. You will be able to personalize all the materials and ideas you find in this toolkit in a way that fits you and your business. You will also be given plenty of prompts to help you create the most effective birth business you can and ensure you are protecting yourself every step of the way.
- Are contracts included in this toolkit? – No! Depending on what type of birth professional you are, this is the one legal document you may need that is not included in the Toolkit. Since this toolkit is for all types of birth professionals, it did not make sense to charge extra for contracts that you may not need. Instead, we have contract templates (for labor/birth doulas, postpartum doulas, sibling doulas, and placenta encapsulation specialists) available for purchase separately here or bundled with this toolkit below.
- How is this toolkit different from The Ultimate Birth Doula Toolkit? – The Ultimate Birth Doula Toolkit is focused on the process of becoming a labor/birth doula and working with doula clients, whereas the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit is focused on the logistics around creating an organized LLC and the steps you need to take to ensure it has limited liability protection. While there is a small amount of overlap between the toolkits, they cover distinct topics and have different areas of focus. If you are a new labor/birth doula, you would benefit from purchasing both of these toolkits.
- I live in Wisconsin. Will the legal information in this toolkit pertain to me? – Yes, most, if not all, of the legal information will pertain to you. While the legal documents and information found in the Toolkit were written by attorneys in the state of Colorado, the processes they have outlined will be the same or similar in other states. However, we do recommend you check your local legal requirements and have your final legal documents reviewed by an attorney in your area to ensure you are fully protected. If you do not live in the United States, the legal information will not pertain to you, however, all the comprehensive information on how to go about setting up your birth business will.
- How will I receive the Toolkit? – After completing your purchase, you will be sent an email with a link to download all toolkit materials in a zip file.
When you use the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit, you will be given the tools you need to create a thriving birth business. The Toolkit will allow you to maintain complete ownership over how you work, and improve the organization and professionalism of your business. It will simplify the process of building your business so you can start working with clients and making a profit sooner. We wish you a sustainable birth business!
Here’s what people are saying about the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit:
The toolkit was the right balance of enough information but not overwhelming. It was easy to understand, and great verbiage was used, so beginners/people just starting out will know how to establish their business and sustain it. The links were helpful too! It was very helpful to me as a new birth professional. This toolkit is a great tutorial on how to go about creating and establishing a business and how to keep it alive. It really got me pumped up and excited about establishing a business. It gave me confidence to actually believe in myself to register as an LLC! – Brianna (new birth professional)
This is EXACTLY the step-by-step tool you need to build your business, and the information in it is priceless. I loved the way it was organized and the tips sprinkled in were very helpful. I actually hired a business doula when I started my business, and paid in the vicinity of $500, and didn’t get nearly the value that I got from your Toolkit. Thanks for putting this together! I feel the need to go through my own business from the ground up and use this plan now. How I wish I had this when I was first getting started! – Chris (experienced doula)
Download the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit
Click the “Add to Cart” button below to download the Building Your Birth Business Toolkit for $97. You’ll be taken through a quick, secure checkout process and then will be sent an email enabling you to download the Toolkit to any device at any time.
Building Your Birth Business Toolkit + The Ultimate Birth Doula Toolkit (Save $25!)
*In an effort to make these resources accessible to everyone, we do offer a sliding scale for payment. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.*
[i] Wills & Wellness is a law firm based in Denver, CO. They specialize in estate planning but were gracious enough to take the time to write these materials for birth professionals to help us protect ourselves.