Preparing your older child for the birth of their sibling and ensuring your child is well taken care of emotionally and physically during your birth can be one of the most important ways an expectant family prepares for their new arrival. As a sibling doula, I provide emotional, physical, and educational support for your child(ren) so that everyone can have a more satisfying birth experience. My role is to take care of your child’s emotional and physical needs so you can focus on the birth. I can also step in and act as your birth doula if your partner needs to be with your child.
Prenatally, I will give you a list of ways you can prepare your child for your birth and the arrival of a new family member. I will meet with you and your little one(s) so they can become comfortable with me and so I can get to know them. I can read them numerous children’s stories I have about pregnancy, birth, and having a new sibling and will talk to them about what they can expect from this experience. During the birth, I will help your child understand what is going on, make sure they are staying nourished, read/play with them, and find ways for them to be involved in the birth. I can also take them for a walk or to a different location if they are feeling overwhelmed or if mama needs some space. After the birth, I will help you settle in as a family and ensure that someone else is able to care for your child before leaving, and then I will check up on you postpartum to see how your family is doing.
Included in My Sibling Doula Services:
- A complimentary meeting over the phone or at a neutral meeting place for us to chat and see if my services are right for you
- Two prenatal visits (1-2 hours each at your home or other location of your choosing)
- Unlimited phone and email support leading up to and for four weeks after your birth
- Backup doula on call in case an unexpected situation arises – You may meet the backup doula ahead of time if you desire.
- Continuous support for your child(ren) during your birthing time beginning whenever you wish for me to join them until 1-2 hours postpartum
- One postpartum visit (1-2 hours at your home)
- A memory book capturing your child(ren)’s experience of the birth